Jack City

My name is Scott Miles. I'm a Cleveland native and a die-hard Cleveland sports fan. I am in my second year at Capital University where I write for the school paper, work in the Sports Information Department, and used to play baseball and golf. This blog focuses on Cleveland and Ohio State sports, along with Capital. Feel free to give me feedback!

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Outside at 9 a.m. today coaching Rec baseball, I noticed the early morning sunshine quickly fade to overcast skies. It remained cloudy until about 2:00, when my friend Brian called me.

LeBron agreed to a contract extension with the Cavs.

Wait, that doesn't look quite right. I think it should read more like: LEBRON AGREED TO A CONTRACT EXTENSION WITH THE CAVS!!!

Or perhaps: LEBRON AGREED TO A CONTRACT EXTENSION WITH THE CAVS?!?!?!?

Either way, the clouds quickly parted over Cleveland (well, Solon at least), revealing a bright and beautiful day. I don't think it was a coincidence. If it was, who the heck cares? Need I remind you that LEBRON AGREED TO A CONTRACT EXTENSION WITH THE CAVS!!!

Screw the Indians for right now (they lost 7-4, again failing to capitalize on any momentum from last night's big win). After torturing Cleveland fans for a full week, LeBron verbally committed to remain in the Wine and Gold jersey through 2013.

(I'll pause here to let that sink in. LeBron James. Cleveland Cavaliers. 2013. Take a few deep breaths and exhale. Try to avoid hyperventilating, or gagging on drool.)

His young career has been peppered with question marks about how long he would stay in Cleveland. Many felt it a matter of time before LeBron abandoned C-town for the spoils of New York or LA. Those questions only loomed larger starting last week, when Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, and Dwayne "NBA Finals MVP" Wade all agreed to extensions with their own clubs, while LeBron remained mum. The city of Cleveland held its breath, and if you felt a little extra breeze this afternoon, it was a result of 500,000 northeast Ohioans exhaling simultaneously.

So we can start fitting the team for championship rings now, right? Prepping Euclid Avenue for the big parade? I mean, we've got LeBron.

Brian and I joked about how many titles we'd win with LeBron: five, six, seven. Then reality set in. "I'd be happy with one," I said, my mind drifting towards the euphoric feeling of celebrating a Cleveland championship.

This team still has some issues. Re-signing Drew Gooden, who some nights plays like Charles Barkley, other nights like Gnarls Barkley, is one of them. I think he needs to stay, though, because he's an athletic big man, and those don't come easy. Also, the drafting of Shannon Brown and Daniel Gibson has made the futures of Eric Snow and/or Damon Jones doubtful. And big Z, so steady and consistent during the regular season, looked lost and slow during the postseason - almost a liability. He may be gone shortly as well. And no one knows if Larry Hughes can be the Scottie Pippen to LeBron's Michael Jordan.

Throughout the day, though, when those feelings were nagging me, I turned my focus to the fact that bears repeating once again.

LEBRON AGREED TO A CONTRACT EXTENSION WITH THE CAVS!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home