Jack City

My name is Scott Miles. I'm a Cleveland native and a die-hard Cleveland sports fan. I am in my second year at Capital University where I write for the school paper, work in the Sports Information Department, and used to play baseball and golf. This blog focuses on Cleveland and Ohio State sports, along with Capital. Feel free to give me feedback!

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Closure

I'm just going to say this real quick, then it's done and over with, OK?

As I partially explained to my friend Sam, a non-Ohioan, during halftime of last night's game, life in Ohio sucks. Unemployment is off the charts. Our last governor seemed to have the mental capacity of a two-year old. People leave the state in droves to live elsewhere. The weather generally is awful, and people are excited that it's been 45 degrees and raining all winter. Our professional sports teams have, shall we say, a less than stellar record of success.

But you know what we do have? We have pride, and we have Ohio State. Those have been the two constants, through the Bob Tafts, the Jane Campbells, the Dennis Kuciniches, the Tom Noes, the Lake Effect Snow Storms.

So fine. Go ahead and say what you want about last night's game. I don't care. I had my closure somewhere between the third and fourth quarters (I really don't know when, it's all a blur). I took a shower, cleansed myself of all of that, changed out of my Ohio State gear, and popped Airplane! into my DVD player. End of story, end of night. I have no idea what the final score was, nor do I have any intention of ever seeking it out. I do know that 12-1, a Big 10 title and knocking off a pair of teams ranked number two makes for a helluva season, though.

Try to talk to me about the game, and it'll likely end up as the following exchange from Airplane!:

"What was it we had for dinner tonight?"
"Well, we had a choice of steak or fish."
"Yes, yes, I remember, I had lasagna."

Enjoy your steak and fish. I'm eating lasagna.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home